How many times have you been sitting in a meeting, a training, or even waiting for an appointment? Thinking about these times, how many times have you been 100% focused on your activity for the entire duration? More times than not, we find ourselves drifting and spending time totally engaged. This is what our students experience throughout the day. In order to combat this, we need to provide opportunities to re-engage their minds.
Brain breaks provide the opportunity for students to refresh, change up the routine, and get ready to focus again. This helps stimulate the brain and process new information so students are ready to learn more! Let’s turn those blank looks in your classroom into engaged students.
Here are 7 Brain Breaks for the Classroom that are student-tested and student-approved!
1. The Sid Shuffle…Sid from Ice Age brings a fun shuffle/slide combination students love.
2. Can’t Stop the Feeling…From the movie, Trolls, this song and dance is fun for students of all ages.
3. Peanut Butter in a Cup…This is a definite student favorite. I hear and see them at recess performing this little brain break.
4. Dinosaur Stomp…Here is one for the boys in the classroom.
5. Banana Banana Meatball…This is a fun one with patterns.
6. Get Yo Body Movin’…This brain break is great for any age and and time of day.
7. Move and Freeze…This is a great one to do when you want the students to really wake up because they have to follow the directions in the brain break.
I know I said there would only be 7 brain breaks, but I have a bonus one for you. The students love this one, and it is pretty cute. Caution: There is one portion where the students get loud. Make sure you are in a building or location this will work. It’s fun for the students and teachers!
I hope you enjoy using these fun, student-approved brain breaks in your classroom this year!